Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Week 2 (29/10/2012) TED TALKS By Sir Ken Robinson: Do schools kill creativity?

Week 2 (29/10/2012) 

5 words associated to " Creativity "
- Drawing 
- Dream
- Imagination
- Inspire 
- Exploration 



5 words not associated to " Creativity "
- Boring 
- Reality
- Static
- Routine
- Law







Respond and reflect to the Ken Robinson 2006 Ted Talk episode on creativity education and intelligence. You can find the link at the reference note of Lecture notes for Week 2.



It is indeed that our education has ripped down our ability to be creative.
Even our prestigious Multimedia University Creative Multimedia faculty course is using the convention marks and grading system to limit our freedom to express our original idea.

For a quick example, what would my lecturers Creative Study would do if I honestly write down my original idea? 
My original respond and reflect is that I don't understand a s**t that what Ken Robinson is talking about. His British accent is too strong and the speed of his speech is just like Japan's Bullet train traveling from Nasu-shiobara to Utsunomiya. The wide range of vocabulary usage makes everything even worst. Even though I been watching this for several times the only thing I perfectly understand from his presentation is when he greet the audience with "Good Morning. How are you?". I believe that I am not the only one who felt this way. I would appreciate that our next study material would not be limited by language and culture barrier.
As you have read my above statement, be truth and tell yourself what you would rate me?

But you know what, I am one of the victim of the public education as well. Fearing of not passing and thus not getting a PTPTN loan, I "hired" someone to translate the whole presentation to me and even ask him to highlight some important points that is related and required to answer this week task.

But after hearing the inspiring translation(I would call this as inspiring translation rather inspiring speech from Ken because I am not sure he added his own opinion or just a pure speech to speech translation) from him an idea struck into my mind (as always, therefore I consider myself as one of the most creative I ever meet in my lifetime). The idea of using myself as a case study to demonstrate that "School Kills Creativity"~!!!

If I would use my original idea as the answer for this week task will I be given an A? How if  I discussed it in a more controversial way? Will I be given enough freedom for the next task? My little demonstration here already proved that there is flaw in our education system. Without enough freedom or scare of losing mark in the task will discourage the use of our creativity in completing the task. The current education system makes it so hard to practice our creativity due to the reason of fear of getting bad grade. And why does getting a bad grade is a bad thing in the first place? As what Ken had said, if we don't grow in it(creativity), we will grow out of it(creativity). In my view, if one's freedom of expression is taken away, so does his creativity. 

So does that make sense that you guys is hijacking the student creativity? But I don't put the blame on the lecturer, they are trained to do so. So blame the public education quoted Ken Robinson.

Reflection?
After being realize that my 12 years of education is a flaw, I would gather all MMU-ian and held a 10 days demostration infront of FCM to abolish the CGPA system and let the student to study whatever they want, whenever they want and how ever they want!
Nah, just joking, probably not. As I am still a slave to the PTPTN (damn the education system).
Sorry for being creative. =p

No comments:

Post a Comment